The gauges are VDO. They're ok. Next time I consider VDO Nightvision
and Stuart-Warner gauges. Ha! if there is a next time. Either the temp
gauge, or the sender is bad, and the Ammeter is a different make from
Brazil. Gauges from CB Performance, whom I'm not recommending. It's
a long story. They have offered to take back the temp gauge and sender
for testing, but I'd have to pay the shipping.
This is mostly done. It worked well, except for the temp sender. This
past weekend I welded a nut onto the outside of my oil drain plate,
and installed the temp sender there. It worked. I took photos and will
have them ready in a week or so, perhaps.
I removed the speaker grille, speaker, and with some difficulty cut
a large hole in the dash. The cherry is about 3/8 inch thickness (9.5mm).
It is not plywood, and as a result is pretty delicate. The circle in
the photo is around a crack that happened when I tightened down too
hard on that screw. This mounting does not take into account the curvature
of the dash. More on that below...
I mounted the tach more or less the same way. I took out the radio,
and cut away quite a bit of the dash pad. It's not a very neat job,
and I may redo much of this later. I'm going to mount a newer radio/tape
deck below the dash, and mount a single speaker with it.
The dotted line is around a thin wedge glued to the back of the wood
trim. This helps compensate for the curvature of the dashboard. This
made a big difference in the fit of the whole assembly to the dash.
Mounting this with hidden screws would be a real chore. I may change
over to nicer black trim screws. The old radio hole, and much of the
dash will get some more cherry trim. I need to add a nice clock, maybe
an outside temp. gauge, and perhaps a cylinder head pyrometer.
Tools: scroll saw, (jig saw or coping saw), files, sander, drill.
Parts: your favorite fine grained hardwood, wood glue, sheet metal